Daniel J. Piedra is the Executive Director of the Freedom of Conscience Defense Fund. Piedra has over eight years of experience in nonprofit civil rights advocacy. At FCDF, he is responsible for overseeing its administration and strategic operations.
Piedra was previously Chief Operations Officer and Director of Communications and Development at two national nonprofit public interest law firms, and he has over ten years of experience in nonprofit service.
Piedra earned his J.D. from the University of San Diego School of Law, where he was a Spain Family Fellowship recipient. During law school, he served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Roger T. Benitez in the United States District Court for the Southern District of California. He earned his B.A. from Michigan State University, where he was named to the Dean’s List and awarded a merit scholarship.
LEADERSHIP, MEMBERSHIP & HONORS
- Former student chapter president of the St. Thomas More Society of the University of San Diego School of Law
- Member, St. Thomas More Society of San Diego
- Former member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Former member, American Bar Association
- Member, Catholic Writer’s Guild
- Member, San Diego Writer’s Guild
A Michigan native, Piedra lives in San Diego with his wife and son. In his spare time, he enjoys outdoor recreation and writing novels for young adults.